Red Lentil Dip
Red Lentil Dip- a vegetarian dip with red lentils, tomato paste, fresh garlic and spices; garnished with low-fat yogurt and cilantro. Serve with fresh pita bread.
This recipe contains red lentils, vegetable stock, tomato paste, fresh garlic, black pepper (cracked), coriander powder, bread (pita), yogurt (low-fat), fresh cilantro
4 - 6 Servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 1 cup(s) dried red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 cup(s) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 5 clove(s) garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 - 3 ds. ground pepper-fresh
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 4 whole pieces pita bread, quartered
- 1/4 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt, for garnish
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, for garnish
- 1. Combine lentils, broth, tomato paste, garlic cloves, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir, reduce heat to low, and cover.
- 2. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Transfer lentil mixture to food processor and pulse on and off to form a paste.
- 4. Return lentil puree to saucepan and stir in coriander. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Place red lentil puree in a small bowl. Garnish with yogurt and top with cilantro.
- 5. Toast pita pieces under broiler until golden (1 to 2 minutes per side). Arrange pita pieces on a plate and serve warm.