Au Gratin Potatoes
Au gratin potatoes with cheddar, swiss and gruyere cheese.
This recipe contains red potatoes, onions, butter, flour, mustard powder, fresh nutmeg, milk, cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded), cheese (gruyere & swiss shredded), salt, pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 2 lb. red potatoes
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 2 cup(s) whole milk
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. shredded swiss and gruyere cheese
- 1 - 2 ds. salt, to taste
- 1 - 2 ds. pepper, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Wash potatoes and slice into 1/8' thin slices. Slice onion as thin as possible.
- 2. Layer potatoes and onions in little stacks and place stacks upright in a greased casserole dish.
- 3. Melt butter in a sauce pan and add flour; cook for 3 minutes. Add seasonings and milk. Whisk over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
- 4. Spoon cheese sauce over potatoes. Cover with foil (or lid) and bake 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are cooked.