Au Gratin Potatoes
Au gratin potatoes with cheddar, swiss and gruyere cheese.
This recipe contains red potatoes, onions, butter, flour, dry mustard powder, fresh nutmeg, milk, cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded), cheese (gruyere & swiss shredded), salt, pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 2 lb. red potatoes
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 2 cup(s) whole milk
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. shredded swiss and gruyere cheese
- 1 - 2 ds. salt, to taste
- 1 - 2 ds. pepper, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Wash potatoes and slice into 1/8' thin slices. Slice onion as thin as possible.
- 2. Layer potatoes and onions in little stacks and place stacks upright in a greased casserole dish.
- 3. Melt butter in a sauce pan and add flour; cook for 3 minutes. Add seasonings and milk. Whisk over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
- 4. Spoon cheese sauce over potatoes. Cover with foil (or lid) and bake 60 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are cooked.