Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
This recipe contains chicken breasts (boneless skinless), sherry dry, red wine vinegar, orange juice, honey, soy sauce, fresh ginger, garlic chili sauce, coconut oil, cornstarch, water, sesame seeds, fresh chives, rice (brown), broccoli
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 14 oz. PERDUE boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. dry sherry (optional)
- 1/2 cup(s) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) orange juice
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. gingery, finely grated
- 2 tsp. chili-garlic sauce
- 2 - 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 6 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives, for garnish
- 1 cup(s) uncooked brown rice, for serving
- 1 cup(s) steamed broccoli, for serving
- 1. On a plastic of dishwasher safe cutting board, chop the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Toss with (Shaoxing rice wine) or dry sherry and marinate for 10 minutes.
Shaoxing wine is a Chinese Cooking wine made from rice. It can be found in most supermarkets in the Asian food aisle. Substitute dry sherry or leave out.
- 2. In a medium bowl or a large glass-measuring cup combine the red wine vinegar, orange juice, honey, soy sauce, ginger, and chili-garlic sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- 3. In a large wok or non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Toss the marinated chicken with 1/3 cup cornstarch. Add the chicken cubes to the hot wok and stir-fry for about 7-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. The chicken is done when it feels firm to the touch and a meat thermometer inserted in the center reaches 170 degrees F. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate.
- 4. To the hot wok, add the sweet and sour sauce mixture and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce starts to reduce. In a small bowl, whisk together the cold water and the remaining 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and simmer until thickened. Toss the chicken with the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- 5. Transfer to a platter and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped chives, if desired. Serve with steamed broccoli and brown rice.
See package instructions for cooking rice and broccoli.