My Weeknight Bolognese takes only 30 minutes, but the hearty tomato sauce with ground sirloin, tomatoes, red wine (don't worry, the alcohol cooks off!), oregano and lots of spices tastes like it's been simmering on the stove all day.
This recipe contains pasta (orecchiette), beef (sirloin, ground), garlic (minced), olive oil, oregano (dried), crushed red pepper, wine (red, dry), tomatoes (crushed), tomato paste, nutmeg, basil (fresh), heavy cream, cheese (parmesan), black pepper, salt
4 - 5 Servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 3/4 lb. small shell pasta
- 1 lb. lean ground sirloin
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1 can(s) 28oz. crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped basil leaves
- 1/4 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup(s) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ds. pepper to taste
- 1 ds. salt to taste
- 1. Place the onion, carrots, celery, chicken breasts, garlic, salt , pepper, thyme, parsley and chicken broth in a slow cooker.
- 2. Cook for 3-4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW. Remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks, then return to the soup.
- 3. Add the tortellini to the slow cooker and cook for 10-15 minutes more or until they are puffy and heated through.
- 4. Serve, garnished with parsley if desired.