Easy Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup -30 minutes
A 30 minute soup, using rotisserie chicken or pre cooked chicken, that will leave you wanting a second bowl! This soup has just the right amount of spice, tender chicken, corn and black beans and is a great hearty recipe. Plus, we give you instructions on how to make your own tortilla strips for the topping! Don't be intimidated by the ingredient list; most are staples in your pantry. Enjoy!
This recipe contains , chicken (rotisserie), chicken broth, beans (black), tomatoes (diced), corn (frozen), onions (vidalia/sweet), garlic (fresh), peppers (jalapeno, fresh), olive oil, limes, cumin (ground), chili powder, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, XXXXX, cilantro (fresh), avocados, cheese (cheddar, sharp, shredded), sour cream, , tortillas (corn), olive oil, salt (kosher)
6 - 8 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- for the soup
- 2 cup(s) shredded cooked chicken (use rotisserie to save time)
- 32 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 29 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 cup(s) corn (I used frozen, may sub fresh)
- 1 cup(s) vidalia onion, diced small
- 4 clove(s) garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 whole large jalapeno pepper (if you prefer it hot, keep the seeds for the soup)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional and to taste)
- 1 tsp. smoked or regular paprika
- the toppings
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
- 1 whole avacado
- 2 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 scoop(s) sour cream, per serving
- for the tortilla strips
- 10 small corn tortillas, cut into 1/4inch wide strips
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt or to taste
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauté pan; add garlic and red onion; sweat for 4 minutes.
- 3. Add chicken and 1 tablespoon olive oil to a separate pan and cook three-fourths of the way through.
- 4. Add the peppers to the onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and continue cooking until reduced by half.
- 5. Cook Spaghetti according to package directions.
- 6. Add the chicken to the pepper and onion mixture; season the mixture with salt and pepper. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the Romano cheese.
- 7. Toss chicken mixture with the cooked Spaghetti