Chicken and Spinach Soup with Pesto
This italian inspired soup is souper easy to pull together for a weeknight meal.
This recipe contains olive oil (extra virgin), carrots, chicken breasts (boneless skinless), garlic (fresh), chicken broth (low-sodium), spinach (baby), marjoram, beans (cannellini), pesto, black pepper, croutons, cheese (parmesan, grated)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) carrots or diced red bell pepper
- 8 oz. boneless-skinless chicken breast
- 1 clove(s) large garlic, minced
- 40 oz. (5 cups) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 6 oz. baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 3 - 4 tbsp. pesto
- 2 - 3 ds. fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup(s) croutons, for topping (optional)
- grated parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- 1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrot (or bell pepper) and chicken; cook, turning the chicken and stirring frequently, until the chicken begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir in broth and marjoram; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- 2. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to a clean cutting board to cool. Add spinach and beans to the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- 3. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken and pesto into the pot. Season with pepper. Heat until hot. Garnish with croutons, if desired.