Pumpkin flavored cannoli's. **please note you will need cannoli cooking tubes for this recipe**
This recipe contains XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, shortening, water, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, mascarpone, ricotta cheese, pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, whipping cream
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 10 min
- FOR THE FLAKY PIE CRUST
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup(s) shortening
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup(s) water, chilled, divided
- FOR THE CANNOLI'S
- 1 whole flaky pie crust (recipe above)
- 4 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup(s) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup(s) heavy whipping cream
- 1. FOR THE FLAKY PIE CRUST:
In medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all dough is moistened.
Divide dough in half, one half slightly larger. Form each half into a ball; flatten slightly to disk shape. Return smaller disk to refrigerator to use later as top crust.
On a lightly floured surface, place larger disk of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle.
To transfer pastry, wrap it around rolling pin. Unroll pastry into 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch dough. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry.
Fill pie crust with desired filling. Roll out second portion of pastry in similar manner. Cut slits in remaining pastry; place on filling and seal. Secure edges by dampening edge of lower crust and pressing two crusts together. Crimp edges as desired.
Bake as directed in chosen recipe.
- 2. FOR THE CANNOLI'S:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- 3. Prepare pie crust according to directions. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a 5-inch circle cutter, cut out circles of dough.
- 4. Spray outside of each cannoli tube with non-stick cooking spray. Roll dough around the tube, adhering with a small dot of water where the ends meet. Bake on prepared cookie sheet for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden.
- 5. Mix together remaining ingredients, except heavy cream, in blender or with a mixer, until well blended. Chill in refrigerator at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- 6. Whip heavy cream with mixer and whisk attachment, until peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture. Spoon filling into a piping bag. Fill each shell with filling. Keep chilled until ready to serve.