Raisin Bread Monte Cristo
An interesting twist on a classic fried ham and cheese sandwich.
This recipe contains bread (raisin), cream cheese (1/3 less fat), jam (strawberry), deli ham, eggs, milk, canola oil, sugar (powdered, confectioners)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 8 slice(s) raisin bread
- 8 tbsp. cream cheese, reduced fat
- 4 tbsp. strawberry jam
- 8 oz. (slices) deli-style ham
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup(s) half and half or milk
- 2 tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 4 tsp. powdered sugar
- 1. SPREAD 1 slice of bread with 2 tablespoons cream cheese. Top with 1 tablespoon jam and 2 slices ham.
- 2. PLACE another slice on top to make a sandwich. Repeat to make 4 sandwiches.
- 3. WHISK together eggs and half and half in a medium mixing bowl. HEAT 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- 4. DIP two of the sandwiches into the egg mixture and carefully place in frying pan when oil becomes shiny.
- 5. COOK until golden brown, about 4 to 6 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully flip over and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes.
- 6. REMOVE sandwiches from pan and sprinkle each with powdered sugar. REPEAT steps to make remaining sandwiches.