Pulled BBQ Chicken Sliders
Pulled BBQ Chicken Sliders with a homemade rub for the chicken and a homemade bbq sauce.
This recipe contains chicken (thighs), olive oil (extra virgin), hamburger buns, coleslaw, XXXXX, olive oil, onions (yellow), ketchup, root beer, molasses, lemons, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, XXXXX, cumin powder, garlic powder, salt
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 - 4 ds. extra-virgin olive oil, for sautéing
- 8 whole small, soft hamburger buns or rolls, split
- 1 pkg(s) coleslaw -for sandwiches (optional)
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) finely chopped yellow onion
- 2/3 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/2 cup(s) root beer
- 2 tbsp. molasses
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pn. pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- FOR THE RUB
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients, increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- 4. Combine the rub ingredients. Lightly brush the chicken thighs on both sides with oil and season evenly with the rub.
- 5. Grill the chicken over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the meat is firm to the touch and the juices run clear, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice.
- 6. Remove from the grill and let rest until just cool enough to handle 3 to 5 minutes. Shred the chicken, add to the sauce, and heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- 7. Fill the buns with the chicken mixture. Serve with coleslaw, if desired.