Vegetarian Chili with Healthy Tortilla Chips
This is an amazing vegetarian chili. It is also great with tofu, ground turkey or even left over chicken in it, but I like it with no meat and find it doesn’t need it.
This recipe contains onions (yellow), bell peppers (green), fresh garlic, peppers (jalapeno, fresh), olive oil (extra virgin), salt, chili powder, cumin, bay leaves, salt, pepper, tomatoes (crushed), black beans, kidney beans, greek yogurt, hot sauce, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, tortillas (wheat)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1 whole yellow onion
- 1 whole bell pepper
- 2 clove(s) cloves of garlic
- 1 whole jalapeño, more if you want it spicier
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 whole bay leaf
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 can(s) 28oz. chopped or crushed tomatoes
- 1 can(s) 15oz. black beans
- 1 can(s) 15oz. kidney beans
- 1 pkg(s) 24oz. plain greek yogurt, for topping
- 1 pkg(s) 5oz. hot sauce, your favorite for toppings
- 1 pkg(s) 12.7oz. whole wheat tortilla
- 1. Chop onion and bell pepper and put in a large pot w/ a little olive oil on Medium for about 10 min or until they are soft.
- 2. Add in your garlic, jalapeno chopped (if you don’t like it hot take out seeds and ribs) chili powder, ground cumin, bay leaf and some salt and pepper. Cook about a minute until you can smell the garlic. Dump in the can of tomatoes reduce to low and let cook for about 45 min stir a few times so it does not burn.
- 3. Now you can add the beans, drain and rinse a can of black and a can of kidney beans and toss into the chili. Cook for about 10 min. I like to put some Greek yogurt on top and a little hot sauce.
- 4. You will need some Healthy Tortilla Chips to go with that Vegetarian Chili:
I use whole wheat tortillas but any kind will work. One tortilla should feed 2 people. You can use ANY spices here, whatever you have just do one leafy and one ground. Place tortillas on cookie sheet, brush w/ olive oil then sprinkle w/ dried basil, some salt and a little chili powder. Now you can cut, fold in half and cut into 4 pieces, then cut down the middle you should get 8 per tortilla. Bake in oven at 350 for about 12-15 min spin the sheet 1/2 way through.