Quick and Easy Red Beans and Rice
Red beans and rice is best made with dry beans but if you're in a hurry, canned beans work great too. I like to use the immersion blender on half of the beans to give it that consistency you love when using dried beans.
This recipe contains sausage (andouille), kidney beans, onions, celery, poblano peppers, fresh garlic, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaves (dried), cajun seasoning, worcestershire, brown sugar, hot sauce, salt, pepper, rice (jasmine), olive oil, fresh cilantro
4 - 6 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 12 - 16 oz. andouille sausage, 1/4 inch slices
- 2 can(s) 15.5oz. kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 3/4 cup(s) celery, diced
- 2 whole poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 5 cup(s) chicken broth
- 2 tsp. thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp. worcestershire
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 - 4 ds. hot sauce (optional)
- 2 - 4 ds. salt, to taste
- 2 - 4 ds. pepper, to taste
- 2 cup(s) uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro (optional)
- 1. In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and sausage and brown.
- 2. Add onions, celery, garlic and poblanos and cook. Deglaze with 1 cup of chicken broth and continue to cook until tender and aromatic.
- 3. Add half of the kidney beans to the pot.
- 4. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, combine 1 cup of chicken stock and remaining kidney beans and blend.
- 5. Add blended beans, cajun seasoning, thyme, bay leaves, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (optional) and sugar.
- 6. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7. Meanwhile, combine 2 cups of jasmine rice with 3 cups of chicken stock and cook according to package directions.
- 8. Garnish with cilantro (optional) and serve hot.