King Ranch Chicken Casserole
This recipe contains chicken (whole), celery, carrots, salt, butter, onions, bell peppers (green), garlic, soup (cream of mushroom), soup (cream of chicken), tomatoes (with green chiles), oregano (dried), cumin, chili powder, cheese (cheddar), tortillas (corn), cilantro (fresh)
8 - 10 Servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 whole celery ribs, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 whole carrots, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 1/2 - 3 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 whole medium onion, chopped
- 1 whole green bell pepper
- 1 clove(s) garlic clove, pressed
- 1 can(s) 10 3/4oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can(s) 10 3/4oz. cream of chicken soup
- 2 can(s) 10oz. diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3 cup(s) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 corn tortillas, 6inch, cut into 1/2 strips
- 1 cilantro, for topping off
- 1. If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Rinse chicken.
- 2. Place chicken, celery, carrots, and salt in a large Dutch oven with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth; cool 30 minutes. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Strain any remaining cooking liquid, and reserve for another use.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- 4. Skin and bone chicken; shred meat lnto bite-size pieces. Layer half of chicken in a lightly greased 13x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla strips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 6. *Optional, add finely chopped cilantro to garnish each serving