Weight Watchers Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole
Mexican style casserole with brown rice, refried beans, salsa, and cheese.
This recipe contains cooking spray, rice (brown), salsa, cumin powder, refried beans, corn (frozen), green chiles, chili powder, spinach (frozen), cheese (mexican blend), fresh cilantro
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2 cup(s) long grain brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 1/4 cup(s) fat free salsa
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can(s) 15oz. refried beans
- 1 pkg(s) 10oz. frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies, canned
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 pkg(s) 10oz. chopped frozen spinach, or collard greens, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl
- 6 oz. reduced fat mexican style blend shredded cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, fresh, chopped (optional; for garnish)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray. Cook rice.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
- 3. In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
- 4. Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 Tbsp cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 5. Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.
- 6. *NOTES* Serving size: 1 piece
Leftover brown rice works well in this dish. Or save time by picking some up at your local Chinese restaurant.