Spiced star cookies are a sweet, seasonal addition to your annual holiday cookie swap.
This recipe contains almonds, ground cinnamon, eggs, powdered sugar, lemons
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 2 2/3 cup(s) unblanched almonds, finely ground
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup(s) powdered sugar, sifted-plus additional for dusting
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest, finely grated
- 1. Combine ground almonds and cinnamon in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites using an electric mixer, until medium soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1/2 cup at a time; beat until stiff and glossy. Remove 1/2 of egg white mixture, cover with a damp cloth and reserve in refrigerator for glaze. Fold ground almond mixture and lemon zest into remaining egg white mixture to form stiff dough.
- 3. Lightly grease or line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly dust work surface with confectioners' sugar. Turn the dough out onto the work surface, dust your hands with sugar and gently pat out dough to 1/3-inch thick. Dust with more sugar as needed.
- 4. Cut out cookies using a large star-shaped cookie cutter, dusted in sugar to prevent sticking. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Let cookies stand uncovered for at least 1 hour to dry out.
- 5. Preheat oven to 275°F.
- 6. Bake cookies until they are light golden brown and firm, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- 7. Using a small spoon or brush, glaze the tops of each cookie with the reserved egg white mixture. Return to oven and bake 3 to 5 more minutes, until glaze is set. Do not let glaze turn brown.
- 8. Allow to stand 2 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.