Pumpkin Crumb Cake Muffins
Individual pumpkin crumb cakes, aka muffins, topped with pumpkin spice crumbs. (Yes, pumpkin spice crumbs!) Both the muffin itself AND the crumbs are equally awesome. No picking the crumbs off these orange beauties. Top it all with a little maple icing and there’s basically no need for any other breakfast food, ever.
This recipe contains XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, flour (all-purpose), baking soda, cinnamon (ground), pumpkin pie spice, salt, oil (coconut), sugar, sugar (dark brown), pumpkin (canned), eggs, milk, vanilla extract, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, flour (all-purpose), sugar, sugar (dark brown), pumpkin pie spice, butter (unsalted), icing, sugar (powdered, confectioners), maple syrup, milk
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
- FOR THE MUFFINS
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (spoon and leveled)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup(s) unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar, (packed) dark or light
- 1 1/2 cup(s) pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup(s) milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour (spoon and leveled)
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar, (packed) dark or light
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- FOR THE MAPLE ICING (OPTIONAL)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 15 muffins, so prepare a second muffin pan in the same manner. Set aside.
- 2. Make the muffins: In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt together until combined. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, vanilla, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs and milk together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold everything together gently just until combined and no flour pockets remain.
- 3. Spoon the batter into liners, filling them almost full.
- 4. Make the crumb topping: Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice together until combined. Stir in the melted butter until crumbs form. Spoon crumbs evenly on top of the batter and gently press them down into the batter so they're snug.
- 5. Bake for 5 minutes at 425 then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an additional 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total time these muffins take in the oven is about 21-22 minutes, give or take. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin pan as you make the icing. *For mini muffins, bake for 11-13 minutes at 350°F (177°C) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 6. Make the icing: Whisk all of the icing ingredients together until combined and smooth. Drizzle over muffins and serve warm. Cover tightly and store at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- 7. Make ahead tip: For longer storage, freeze muffins (with or without icing) for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature or warm up in the microwave if desired. Top with icing before serving if needed.