Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
Strawberry and rhubarb are a match made in heaven! This classic sweet and tart galette is the essence of the of summer!
This recipe contains , flour (pastry), butter (unsalted), milk, salt, sugar, , strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, flour (all-purpose), vanilla extract, eggs, water
6 - 8 Servings
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 30 min
- 10 oz. pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 7 oz. unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3 fl.oz. cold milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 oz. sugar
- For the Filling
- 2 1/2 cup(s) strawberries, halved or quartered
- 2 1/2 cup(s) rhubarb, 1/4in slices
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1. For the Crust:
- 2. In a food processor, combine flour, butter, salt and sugar. Pulse until cornmeal like consistency.
- 3. Add milk while processing until dough comes together, don't over process.
- 4. Divide in half, form into round, flat discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator and allow to rest and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 5. For the Filling:
- 6. In a bowl, combine sliced strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, flour and vanilla extract (and any other flavoring of your choice) and mix till thoroughly.
- 7. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees while filling sits.
- 8. Roll the discs out to 12-inch rounds (it can be ragged). Place on a parchment or silicone mat lined baking sheet.
- 9. Pile fruit on the dough circle, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Gently fold the pastry over the fruit, pleating to hold it in (sloppy is fine).
- 10. Whisk egg and water together and brush over crust. Sprinkle extra sugar on crust.
- 11. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the filling bubbles up vigorously and the crust is golden. Cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.