A chocolate holiday tradition.
This recipe contains crackers (saltines), butter, brown sugar, chocolate (semi-sweet, chips), almonds
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers, about 40
- 1 cup(s) butter
- 1 cup(s) brown sugar
- 2 cup(s) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup(s) almonds or walnuts, chopped
- 1. If using almonds, preheat oven to 400 and roast for 5 minutes. If using walnuts, skip this step.
- 2. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange saltine crackers in a single layer on cookie sheet.
- 3. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and sugar and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for about 3 to 5 minutes or until foamy.
- 4. Pour the sugar mixture over the layer of saltines. Using a spatula, spread to fully coat saltines.
- 5. Bake in a 400 F oven for about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate over the hot toffee. Let stand for 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Spread the chocolate to coat surface.
- 6. Sprinkle nuts on top. Refrigerate until completely cooled and hardened. Cut with a knife or break with hands into pieces.