Chocolate Sandwich Whoopie Pies
Chocolate sandwich cookies with a chocolate filling make for a great dessert for the whole family.
This recipe contains all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, shortening, shortening, sugar, dark brown sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, XXXXX, bittersweet chocolate chips, heavy cream, sea salt
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 15 min
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup(s) vegetable shortening
- 1 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup(s) whole milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 1/3 cup(s) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp. coarse salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Stir together flour, Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 2. Beat shortening and sugars with a mixer on high speed, until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg, and beat until mixture is pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes more.
- 3. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with milk and vanilla, beginning and ending with flour.
- 4. Drop mounds of dough (about 2 teaspoons each) onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing each 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets set on wire racks 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks, and let cool completely.
- 5. FOR THE FILLING:
Bring cream just to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 6. Pour over Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and add salt. Let stand 10 minutes (do not stir; doing so will cool the ganache too quickly, making it grainy).
- 7. Whisk ganache until smooth and shiny. Scrape dish with a rubber spatula to incorporate all of it.
- 8. Chill ganache, stirring often, for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 9. Beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until paler and fluffy, for 2 to 4 minutes.
- 10. Transfer whipped ganache to a disposable pastry bag, and snip a 1/2-inch opening. Pipe ganache (2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons each) onto flat sides of half the cookies.
- 11. Sandwich with remaining cookie, pressing gently.