Weight Watchers Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage
Baked Ziti with turkey sausage all lightened up for Weight Watchers!
This recipe contains turkey sausage, onions, green bell peppers, tomatoes (diced), peas (green, frozen), tomato paste, oregano (dried), basil (dried), thyme (dried), fennel seeds, salt, black pepper (cracked), **_pasta (penne, whole wheat), cheese (mozzarella)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 3/4 lb. uncooked turkey sausage(s), spicy-variety if you wish, casings removed
- 1 whole medium onion(s), chopped
- 1 whole medium green pepper(s), chopped
- 1 can(s) 28oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 pkg(s) 10oz. frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pkg(s) 12oz. whole wheat pasta, ziti/penne, cooked according to package directions
- 6 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2. Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 5. Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- 6. Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.