Late Summer Vegetable Enchilada Pie
A saucy, lasagna-like Mexican-American casserole layered with vegetables, tortillas, sauce and cheese. Perfect if you're feeding a crowd or to make ahead for the month, once cool you can refrigerate or freeze it in portions.
This recipe contains xxxxx, chili (ancho), water, tomatoes (whole, peeled), salt (kosher), black pepper, xxxxx, olive oil, onions, garlic (fresh), peppers (jalapeno, fresh), cumin, zucchini, corn (fresh), beans (black, canned), limes, cilantro (fresh), tortillas (corn), cheese (mexican blend)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 50 min
- For the Enchilada Sauce (makes 5 cups)
- 2 - 3 dried ancho chilies
- 1 cup(s) boiling water
- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- For the Filling and Pie
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves, minced
- 2 whole jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 lb. zucchini, diced 1/4-inch (4 cups)
- 2 whole medium ears of corn, kernels cut from cobb (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup(s) canned black or pinto beans, drained and slightly smashed with fork
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cup(s) reduced fat mexican blend cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- 2. Place bread in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add garlic, oil and cheese; pulse to combine. Spread the seasoned breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, layer tomato slices in the prepared baking dish, sprinkling each layer with basil, pepper and salt. Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes; sprinkle with the toasted breadcrumbs, and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
- 4. Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.